Susan H. Rodger
Professor of the Practice of Computer Science, Director of Undergraduate Studies
Faculty Group: Computer Science Education
Ph.D., Purdue University, 1989
B.S., North Carolina State University, 1983
Honors & Awards
IBM Faculty Award, 2008
Finalist Candidate for NEEDS Premier Award for Excellence in EngineeringEducation Courseware, 2007, for software JFLAP.
ACM Distinguished Member, 2006.
Rensselaer Distinguished Teaching Fellowship, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1994.
Computer science education, interactive and visual tools for teaching, algorithm animation, design and analysis of algorithms, data structures, geometric algorithms, and parallel algorithms.
- Susan Rodger, Melissa Dalis, Chitra Gadwal, Jenna Hayes, Peggy Li, LizLiang, Francine Wolfe, and Wenhui Zhang. "Integrating Computing into MiddleSchools' Disciplines Through Projects."43rd SIGCSE Technical Symposium onComputer Science Education, 2012, (to appear).
- Stephen Cooper, Wanda Dann, Dan Lewis, Pam Lawhead, Susan Rodger, MadeleineSchep, and RoxAnn Stalvey. "A Pre-College Professional Development Program."16th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer ScienceEducation (ITiCSE 2011), Darmstadt, Germany, p. 188-192. 2011.
- Susan H. Rodger, Maggie Bashford, Lana Dyck, Jenna Hayes, Liz Liang,Deborah Nelson, and Henry Qin. "Enhancing K-12 Education with AliceProgramming Adventures."15th Annual Conference on Innovation andTechnology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE 2010), Ankara, Turkey,p.234-238, 2010.
- Susan H. Rodger, Eric Wiebe, Kyung Min Lee, Chris Morgan, KareemOmar, and Jonathan Su. "Increasing Engagement in Automata Theory withJFLAP."40th SIGCSE Technical Symposium onComputer Science Education, 2009, p. 403-407.
- Susan Horwitz, Susan Rodger, Maureen Biggers, David Binkley, C. KolinFrantz, Dawn Gundermann, Susanne Hambrusch, Steven Huss-Lederman,Ethan Munson, Barbara Ryder, and Monica Sweat."Using Peer-Led Team Learning to Increase Participation and Success ofUnder-Represented Groups in Introductory Computer Science."40th SIGCSE Technical Symposium onComputer Science Education, 2009, p. 163-167.
- Susan Rodger and Thomas Finley. JFLAP - An Interactive Formal Languages andAutomata Package. ISBN 0763738344, Jones and Bartlett, 2006.
Extended List of Publications
Publications by Susan H. Rodger